Warming Beef or Vegetable Chilli
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 sticks celery (or 200g mushrooms if meat free), finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder (to taste)
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin and cinnamon
- 400 grams tin of red kidney beans (plus 400g tin lentils for meat-free), drained and rinsed
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml water (or vegetable stock)
- 500 grams quality minced beef
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander, separate leaves and chop stalks
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Soften the vegetables and spices in the oil, stirring regularly.
- Add the kidney beans, (lentils if using), tomatoes and stock.
- Stir in the minced beef (if using).
- Add the coriander stalks to the pan, with the balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with the lid slightly ajar for ½ hour (vegetarian version), 1 hour (meat version), until slightly thickened and reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Season with black pepper.
If you would like any more help with your nutrition including more delicious recipes, visit this page on our website https://www.pennybrohn.org.uk/category/nutrition/
In the meantime, if you haven’t done so already, check out our huge variety of online support for those wanting to live well with cancer, ranging from relaxation techniques to how to build your resilience https://www.pennybrohn.org.uk/find-help/online-services/