The temperature is dropping so perhaps it’s time to start thinking about swopping your muesli for porridge to start your day off with something warm and nourishing. Whole porridge oats are rich in antioxidants, are a great source of fibre and can help with blood sugar levels.There are so many things you can do with your porridge, here are just a few to give your porridge mornings a bit more variety.
- Slow Cooker (optional)
- 200 g Rolled Oats
- 400 ml Milk of your choice
- 800 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Ground almonds
- 60 g Organic Short Grain Brown rice
- 800 ml Milk - 400ml can coconut milk plus 400ml of water or milk of choice
- 80 g Dried fruit (e.g. sultanas, cranberries, goji berries, mulberries
- 1/2 tsp Each of vanilla essence and ground nutmeg to your taste
- To make Oat and Almond Porridge, cook oats in the milk and water over a gentle heat for 5 minutes until the oats are softened and the mixture has thickened.
- Stir the ground almonds into the porridge and warm through for a few minutes.
- Serve with fresh or dried fruit and ground seeds or nuts
- To make Coconut rice porridge, take the last 4 ingredients and place into a slow cooker overnight and enjoy in the morning or put all ingredients in an ovenproof dish, cover and bake slowly in a very low oven for 2-3 hours (like you would for rice pudding).