Fruit Compote with Almond Cream
You can still enjoy sweet flavours without adding refined sugar; here is an idea to get you going.
- 225 g Dried Unsulphured Apricots
- 100 g Dried dates, or other dried fruit - no pips
- 1 Juice and Rind of Large Orange
- Dash of Apple Juice
- 4 Sweet Apples eg. Cox or Bareburn, sliced
- 225 g Whole Almonds
- 250 ml Pressed Apple Juice
- 1 tsp Almond Essence
- Put the apricots, dried fruit, orange juice and peel in a large pan. Add a dash of apple juice to cover.
- Bring to the boil , reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the apples to the pan and continue to simmer very gently for 25 minutes
- Serve hot, warm or cold or puree in a food processor
- To make the cream, Whizz almonds to a fine powder in the blender or food processor. You will probably need to stop a few times and give the whole thing a good shake- the finer the powder the smoother the cream. Keep the blender whizzing and slowly add apple juice to the consistency you like. This amount of apple juice should produce a thickish ‘single cream’. Add essence and whizz again to serve. For a change try adding vanilla.
This compote is good for desserts, snacking or breakfast with or without the ‘cream’.