Mince pies are a must have during Christmas season; try our mouth-watering, fruity recipe. These deliciously healthy treats are unbelievably easy, quick and fun to make. Perfect to serve your friends and family at Christmas. Recipe by Rose Elliot.
- 350 g Cooking Dates
- 225 g Each of currants, sultanas, chopped stoned raisins
- 75 g Dried cherries
- 1 Lemon - grated rind and juice
- 1 Orange - grated rind and juice
- 50 g Blanched almonds, chopped
- 350 g Cooking apples, peeled and grated
- 350 g Tin of Pineapples in juice, drained and chopped
- For the Pastry
- 350 g Spelt Flour
- 175 g Butter, cubed
- 3 or 4 tbsp Water or orange juice
- To make the Pineapple Mincemeat, - makes about 2kg. Put everything in a large saucepan and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes to soften the fruit
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- To store spoon into sterilised jars and press a piece of grease-proof paper down on top of the mince meat before putting on the lid. Label and store in the fridge
- To make the pastry, Rub butter into flour in a large bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add 2-3 tbsp water/juice and ‘cut’ into the mixture with a knife until it form large clumps. Add another tbsp of water if needed.
- Press together into a large ball ready to roll.
- To make the Mince Pies, Roll out and cut pastry into circles with a cutter and line a pie tin.
- Cut out slightly smaller circles for lids or use a star cutter to make star lids.
- Fill with mincemeat and bake in a hot oven (200°C, gas mark 6) for 20 minutes.