Immune boosting Chicken Soup
If you are concerned that you need to boost your immunity or you are struggling with your appetite right now then how about trying this nourishing chicken soup. It’s packed full of serious immune-boosting ingredients including herbs & spices such as ginger, chilli & coriander giving it lots of flavour too. A recipe suitable for everyone whether you have cancer or not.
- 1 small (or 6 legs on the bone) chicken
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 sticks celery, halved
- 6cm/2½ inches piece of fresh root ginger, sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 handfuls shredded kale or 1 pak choi, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 6 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced lengthways (optional or just add to your taste)
- 1 juice of lime
- 1 tbsp lime white sweet miso paste
- leaves from 1 bunch coriander
- Put chicken into a large saucepan and cover with 3 litres/100 fl oz water.
- Add peppercorns, bay leaf, half the ginger, the large onion and 2 garlic cloves.
- Bring to boil then simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Lift out the chicken, shred the meat. Return bones to the liquid, add another ½ litre water and simmer for 1 to 2 hours to make a bone broth. Strain the stock and reserve. Discard the vegetables and bones.
- Add the remaining ginger and garlic, chicken, kale/pak choi, red onion, mushrooms and chilli (if using).
- Bring to the boil then simmer the broth for 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, miso and coriander, stir and heat for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Store in fridge for up to 3 days.Add the lime, miso and coriander once removed from the fridge or thawed.
TOP TIPS: If you are on a liquid or very low fibre diet, this soup could be strained and the liquid will still retain many of the beneficial nutrients. The soup can be frozen in batches; ideal to support people going through treatment. It’s so good, you will want to share with your friends and family. We hope you enjoy it!