Sunshine on a plate!
Keep it simple with a selection of colourful ripe heritage tomatoes (available in most shops now).
Tomatoes are a major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene as well as a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
There are so many ways to enjoy them but here are some suggestions.
- With some beautiful olive oil, salt and pepper and enjoy them the Italian way – on toast.
- Try adding herbs such as basil or parsley
- Give them a bit of a kick with the addition of garlic or some fresh chilli (you could use chilli oil instead)
- Or try a healthy salad dressing – our basic dressing or continue with the summery theme and try the mint and lime (see below).
Sometimes I just pop one into my mouth ‘au naturel’ as a snack but whatever you do with them, enjoy :-)
- 3 tbsp (50ml) cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp (50ml) olive oil
Blend together with your choice of 1 tsp honey & 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard, a handful of herbs.
Mint and Lime Dressing
- 1 tbsp (15ml) cider vinegar
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped mint
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
Mix or blend to taste (maybe add black pepper, to suit).