Here’s a lovely festive recipe for you to share and enjoy.
- ½ red cabbage – shredded
- 1 red onion – peeled and chopped
- ½ cooking apple – peeled and chopped
- 1 orange – rind and juice
- 1 lemon – rind only
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 5 cloves
- ½ tsp dried ginger (or 1” fresh – grated)
- ½ tsp Wasabi
- 1 tsp Chywanaprash
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Slowly cook the onion in the oil to develop the flavour.
- Simply add all the other ingredients to the pan, stir well and bring up to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes or until you reach the required crunchiness or softness of the cabbage.
- May need to add a little water to prevent the mixture sticking.
- If possible, let the mixture rest to help develop the flavours. May wish to stir in some seaweed condiment towards the end.
- Can be served hot or cold and excellent with cold meats or salmon.