For this super-quick dish, strips of chicken flavoured with coriander and lime are tossed with a colourful medley of vegetables and toasted nuts. Choose organic chicken if possible. Serve with buckwheat or wholewheat noodles.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
- 60g heaped cashew nuts
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 450g/1lb skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 100g/3½oz mangetout, trimmed
- 1 pak choi, leaves separated
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 150g/5½oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp chicken stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 2–3 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly toast the nuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring, and set aside.
- Put the egg into a large bowl, add the cornflour and a pinch of salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken and coat with the egg mixture.
- Heat a frying pan or wok with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir-fry the chicken for 4–5 minutes until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the spring onions and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the mangetout, pak choi and peppers, and stir-fry for 1 minute or until just softened.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, stock, lime juice and tamari to taste.
- Simmer for 1 minute or until the mushrooms have softened.
- Stir in the nuts and coriander, then season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
PER SERVING: Protein 34.9g, Carbohydrates 17g of which sugars 8.2g, Fat 12.9g of which saturates 4.2g, Kcals 323
HEALTH BENEFITS: Chicken is an energizing food, rich in B vitamins and protein and low in saturated fats. It is an excellent source of the cancer-protective B vitamin, niacin, which helps to protect components of DNA.