Alternative raspberry and chocolate Christmas pudding
This alternative Christmas pudding recipe is from Nourish: The Cancer Care Cookbook by Penny Brohn UK. It’s heathy as well as delicious!
- Oil, for greasing
- 125 g Wholemeal plain flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 125 g Sugar-free apple purée
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 125 ml Soya milk
- 1 tbsp Xylitol
- 150 g Raspberries,
- Extra Raspberies to serve (optional)
- For the Chocolate Sauce
- 2 tbsp Xylitol
- 1 Large tbsp Cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and lightly grease a 20cm/8in round baking dish.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl, then tip in the bran.
- Mix together the vanilla, apple purée, milk and xylitol, and beat into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the raspberries, then spoon into the baking dish.
- Combine the sauce ingredients with 400ml/14fl oz/generous 1½ cups boiling water, and pour gently over the batter. Do not stir the liquid in – it will seep in as it cooks.
- Carefully put the dish in the oven and bake for 35–40 minutes until the pudding is firm on top but with a gooey chocolate sauce underneath.
- Serve with extra raspberries, if you like.
This alternative dish can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days.