The National Centre has developed a great deal over the years. Ham Green House, which now forms the East wing of our National Centre, was first built between 1710 and 1730 and is Grade ll-listed and forms the original building.
In the late 18th century, the house was owned by the Bright family. Richard Bright Jnr., known for his rigorous scientific approach to medicine, became a leading doctor, famous for his work on kidney diseases, including the discovery of the condition we now know as Bright’s disease.
In the 1890’s the house was converted into an isolation hospital, in particular for infectious diseases found among sailors entering into Avonmouth. It was also used as a sanatorium for people with tuberculosis with additional buildings providing ward space.
Following the NHS’ formation in 1948, the house became part of a general hospital, specialising in kidney dialysis. It remained in use as a hospital until the mid- 1980s and was purchased by Penny Brohn Cancer Care (as we were then known) in 2002.
The refurbished building was opened in 2006 with help and design input from our patron, HRH the Prince of Wales.
Our main space is named the Barough-Aubertin Building, in honour of Nina Barough-Aubertin, founder of Walk the Walk who have supported us unfailingly throughout the history of the charity.