This alternative Christmas pudding recipe is from Nourish: The Cancer Care Cookbook by Penny Brohn UK. It’s heathy as well as delicious!
SERVES 4 | PREPARATION TIME 10 mins | COOKING TIME 40 mins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and lightly grease a 20cm/8in round baking dish. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl, then tip in the bran.
- Mix together the vanilla, apple purée, milk and xylitol, and beat into the flour mixture. Stir in the raspberries, then spoon into the baking dish.
- Combine the sauce ingredients with 400ml/14fl oz/generous 1½ cups boiling water, and pour gently over the batter. Do not stir the liquid in – it will seep in as it cooks.
- Carefully put the dish in the oven and bake for 35–40 minutes until the pudding is firm on top but with a gooey chocolate sauce underneath.
Serve with extra raspberries, if you like. (Store leftovers in the fridge for
up to 2 days.
- oil, for greasing
- 125g/4½oz/heaped ¾ cup wholemeal plain flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 125g/4½oz/scant ½ cup sugar-free apple purée
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml/4fl oz/½ cup soya milk
- 1 tbsp xylitol
- 150g/5½oz/scant 1¼ cups raspberries,
- plus extra to serve (optional)
- 2 tbsp xylitol
- 1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder